June 4, 2010

Crikey!

After two full days in Brisbane, I've adjusted pretty well to the time change. We arrived early yesterday morning with a full day on our hands. Our hotel was kind enough to have our room ready at 9:30am. We spent the day visiting the museums at the Cultural Center down on the South Bank where most of the art was from national artists. It was a great day and a nice walk along the Brisbane River. They have beautiful architectural bridges that connect the two sides of the city. I do have to admit that Brisbane has been very slow to grow on me. Either we're not staying in a convenient location or this just isn't a pedestrian city. I don't feel like I'm connecting with the city.

Today we spent the day in Beerwah at the Australia Zoo. The zoo has been owned and operated by the Irwin family for 40 years. Along with some amazing native Australian and Asian animals we were told there might be Irwin sightings. There were! And of course I missed them...durnit! I did get to feed an elephant named Bimbo, though. I also got to hold a koala and chillax with a kangaroo, too. Not only did we get to watch to Wildlife Warriors presentation, Mom was selected to participate in the portion with the birds (I took a picture of her close-up on the jumbo tron). There were some beautiful, amazing, powerful creatures at the zoo where the message is always conservation. The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is an icon, and his legacy lives through his work that continues. I saw dingoes, but unfortunately, a dingo did not eat my baby.

What I've learned so far...Australians really do say g'day and no worries. Although I probably won't start using crikey, I may start calling breakfast, brekkie. I've got to figure out how to wash elephant snot out of my pants...I have to wear them again on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment