June 8, 2010

Great Barrier Reef

I think the Great Barrier Reef is one of the most beautiful natural things I've ever seen with my own eyes. I can only compare the unique beauty and vivid colors to the glaciers I saw in Alaska. We spent the perfect day out on the reef. I've been looking forward to my scuba experience, but unfortunately, my sensitive ears would not let me get farther than 6' under the water before I had to give up. Disappointed as I was, my spirits were quickly lifted. If I couldn't conquer the reef by sea, I would conquer the reef by sky. I took a helicopter ride to get an aerial view you only see on postcards. Well, now I have my own photographs to remember it by. Simply beautiful. It was followed by sunning on the deck and taking a glass bottom boat tour. Although I didn't see the sea turtles and the gigantic 'local' fish Wally, I did get to see a shark. Of course I finished my day with snorkeling.

Some facts about the reef:

  • it's one of the 7 natural wonders of the world
  • it can be seen from space
  • it's larger than the Great Wall of China
  • it's 1800 miles long with 400 species of coral and 1500 species of fish

P.S. I was browsing in a shop when I spied something interesting...a kangaroo scrotum bottle opener. Too bad I'm in the market for a wine opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment