June 9, 2010

I Got That Boom Boom Pow

We started our morning by taking a train ride through the Barron Gorge from Cairns to the village of Kuranda. The railroad was built in the 1880s after gold was discovered in the area and a route needed to be made. It was all built by hand, the tracks, the bridges, and the tunnels. We got a spectacular view of Barron Falls. The village of Kuranda is nestled in the tropical rain forest with quaint shops and cafes. Our return was on the Skyrail that runs almost 5 miles. Upon our return we stopped at Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park (jah'-bu-guy) to learn about only one aboriginal tribe. Their name means 'rain forest' and they call themselves bama (people). We learned about their creation stories, dancing, music, food, hunting, culture, and history. I learned to throw a spear. I could certainly cause a minor flesh wound to a kangaroo...if I could get my aim that close. I do have mad skills at boomerang throwing. I think I could knock a bird out of the air with one of those things. And, yes, they actually do return! If only they would have let me get my lips on one of those didgeridoos! It is a fantastic sound, though. I found it interesting to learn that, along with entertainment and ceremonial purposes, they are used to put them in a trance (the same idea as meditating in yoga, reaching another dimension). Their history is a sad one. Unfortunately it's the same story that has all but extinguished indigenous people around the world. White men and progress.

Tomorrow we head to Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment