June 20, 2011

¡Adios, amigos!

Today is my last day in Peru. I was going to spend my last afternoon walking around Lima Centro visiting some cathedrals and museums. It was going to fit perfectly into my schedule before I had to leave for el aeropuerto. I took a long walk to the Plaza de Armas. The roads were blocked around the plaza, and I pleasantly discovered that the changing of the guard in front of the Presidential Palace. I came to the plaza to see the famed Catedral. It was founded by Francisco Pizarro in 1535 who is also buried in a chapel. Over the centuries the cathedral continues to undergo construction and renovation (some due to earthquakes)but still maintains its colonial style. Pizarro was the Spanish conquistador that conquered the Incas and founded Peru. It wasn't until the 1820s that Peru won its independence from Spain. After touring the Catedral I walked a few blocks to the well know Iglesia de San Francisco. Although this church is in ill repair and a little worse for wear, it is the most visited church in Lima because of the "Lima baroque" style of architechture with the Spanish and Moorish influences. It was a beautiful church with the beautiful wood carved ceiling panels, the hand painted Spanish tiles, and hidden fresco paintings on the walls and ceilings. There was an incredible old library that was once used by the monks I was dying to take a picture of, but of course, no photos. One special treat of this old church is the catacombs below. There are an estimated 25,000 people buried in these catacombs hoping to be just a little bit closer to God. Eerie. The Spanish Inquisition made its way all the way over to South America. Lima has a museum dedicated to its history. I was looking forward to this museum. Closed. I stopped for lunch leaving enough time to visit the Museo de Arte. Closed. So much for planning.
Despite the many difficulties I've encountered on this trip, I have seen and done some amazing things. Things I wouldn't have had the opportunity to see or do if I didn't take a chance. Peru has a beautiful landscape of ocean, desert, mountains, and jungle steeped in history and tradition. I'm glad I came, but it always feels good to come home. Adios, Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment