June 20, 2011

Woman goes batty while being held hostage in the jungle

My guide and I left the lodge at 6am to head over to another lodge owned by the same company, ExploNapo. This is where the Canopy Walkway is located and the ReNuPeRu project. The Canopy Walkway is one of the world's longest suspended walkways. It was opend in 1994 and is used for Amazon reserchers. It extends over 1/3 mile and reaches a height of 118 ft. The perfect vantage point for viewing Amazon vegetation and wildlife. We even spotted a toucan! After we hiked through the jungle and walked across the canopy, we visited the local shaman. He not only serves the local villages, he also is part of the ReNuPeRu Ethnobotanical Garden Project that teaches doctors and guests about the medicinal plants of the Amazon. It was fascinating to hear about the different plants, trees, barks, saps, and so on that are used to treat anything from snake bites to arthritis to post-delivery care. The shaman performed a ritual to cleanse negativity and bring good luck (a ritual that couldn't have been more timely!). I'm not sure what he did exactly because my eyes were closed and he was behind me. He was chanting, and I smelled herbs burning. After that he drew a toucan tatoo on my arm. It was fun in the moment, but a nice souvenir I'll have for the next 10 days before it fades away.
Afterwards we went looking for the pink freshwater dolphins. We didn't find any. I was able to see some of the Victoria Regia lily pads. They were located in a freshwater lake on an island in the middle of the Amazon River. We are now in the dry season. In only a few more days boats will no longer be able to access the lake because the water level will be too low. I was lucky to see the famously big lily pads. Although these weren't the biggest or prettiest. On the ride we spotted lots of birds (kingfishers, hawks, toucanets) and a few sloths (even a momma sloth with her newborn baby attached to her chest).
After dinner we took a night canoe float to find some night wildlife. Because the canopy covers the cloudy sky above, it is pitch black in the jungle. We were in a tiny, hollowed out, wooden canoe equipped with only paddles and flashlights. The darkness of the jungle is scary in a canoe, especially when you think you're going to tip over into the murky waters of the Amazon River. We saw a few spiders. Very large spiders. And an Amazon boa constrictor in a tree. Just below in a neighboring tree we saw an innocent frog who was soon to be his dinner.
Early Sunday morning I was awakened because I had to go to the bathroom. I heard fluttering wings that were too big to be a moth, although I was hoping it was only a moth. I jumped out of the mosquito netting and ran quickly to the bathroom. I could still hear the fluttering, so I quickly ran back under the safety of the netting on my bed. I flashed my light under the other bed. Two bats flew out from under my bed TOWARDS MY FLASHLIGHT!!! I think I was too scared to scream. For the next 1.5 hours I watched 8 more bats fly out from under the bed. OH, MY GOD!!! After I felt certain that the bats were gone, I started getting ready for breakfast, packing my things to leave. There was a resident green parrot perched on the railing outside my room. He greeted me with an Hola, buenas dias. So I said good morning back. He had followed me into my room. I wasn't sure how close to get to the parrot. Would he bite my face off? I don't know. But he wouldn't let me pass. He started hissing at me. Then he bit my shoe. I got around him and finished packing my bag. I was ready to leave the room, but he wouldn't let me. He was holding me hostage in my room! He hiss and bit more until I finally shuffled my way out. I later found out this parrot doesn't like women. After the bats and the parrots, it was time to move on.
The jungle is a fascinating place. Very alive.

1 comment:

  1. Crazy parrot and crazy woman for going out in a canoe, on the Amazon River, at NIGHT!! What a cool adventure!! Can't wait to hear about it. Hopefully, the tattoo will still be there when we see each other!

    ReplyDelete