June 10, 2011

Mountain Momma




Cusco es fantastico! The view fom the airplane window was georgeous flying over miles of remote, snow capped mountain tops. I was a bit unnerved during the landing. I realized I'd never landed in the mountains before. Denver is not the mountains. Denver is near the mountains. The pilot made a tight, hairpin turn around a mountain to position the plane for the landing on the runway. The wing was less than 200 yards from the side of the mountain.
I immediately felt the affects of the altitude. Thankfully, I´m only feeling minor symptoms of shortened breath and a small headache (but that could also be from my headband--my flat iron stopped working this morning. Ahhh!). I'm taking my time, though, and feeling alright. I am going to try some coca tea tomorrow. I saw a woman in tradition dress sitting on the steps of a cathedral tearing coca leaves to sell in small batches. I'm one up on Carl Pillington--I haven´t had to use the oxygen...yet.
There is a red flag waving across from my hostel. My hotel manager warned me against the 'unregulated' chicha. Something abou the bacteria and my unaccustomed system could make for a very unpleasant experience. Instead, he suggested I try it at an esablished restaurant. Fine.
I experienced a first today. I´ve never had to purchase my own toilet paper for my hotel room. I wasn't the only one in the store doing that.
I knew from the moment I landed there was something special about Cusco. There is a tradition and history they've maintained that you can see. Women in traditional dress: the hats, 2 long braids, full, knee-length skirts, wool knee socks, and the colorful blankets tied around the back full of goods, or infants. Today there was a celebration called Programa de General de Fiestas del Cusco. School groups from around the city performed in traditional dress in the Plaza de Armas. It was fabulous. Thousands of people were in the square and on the sidewalks to watch. I love that they have held on to their customs. Made me smile.

I'm looking forward to walking around the historic part of the city. It's said the city was designed and layed out in the shape of a puma.

It is time for me to be off the streets. It becomes not as safe after 8. Adios. Buenos noches.

No comments:

Post a Comment