June 8, 2011

The long and windy road

What a day! I have finally arrived in Nazca, and my blood presure is starting to return to normal. I thought the overnight trip I booked to Nazca was part of an organized group tour. It was not. The company simply arranged all of my travel. A strange man (who didn´t speak English) picked me up and took me to the clusterf$!% they call a bus station. I finally figured out how to check my bag, find the right terminal, and board--for a 7.5 hour bus ride. For the last 2 hours of the trip my stomach was in a knot thinking I missed my stop. When you don´t know where you are in the middle of the desert in the dark, it can be scary. Especially knowing what I paid for this little side trip and wondering how I in the world I would get to Nazca before the morning. But it all worked out. I´m in a very nice hotel. In fact the nicest place I´ll be staying this trip.
I don´t enjoy busses, but I do enjoy the opportunity to see the scenery and get a feel for how the people live. Over half of Peru´s population lives in poverty. Not food stamps, section 8 housing, get my clothes at Goodwill poor. For 7.5 hours we drove past a few hundred miles of remote, shanty town, how to they survive? poverty. The drive south from Lima the landscape has the ocean view on the right and the mountains on the left. This turns into desert. Dry, dusty, nothing around you desert. To be continued...
I´m at an Internet cafe and the clerk just rolled down the metal door and turned the lights out. I guess that means get out!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun bus trip!! Post some pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today was awesome! Chauchilla Cemetery & the Nazca Lines. I thought I was going to toss my cookies on the little Cessna. Thanks for posting!Leave in a bit for the long ride back.

    ReplyDelete