June 20, 2011

Welcome to the jungle!

I arrived one day late for my Amazon adventure. The owner of the lodge has been very kind and accommodating. I was picked up early Friday morning to head 50 miles downriver to Explorama Lodge. The lodge is rustic and set in primary forest (untouched, undeveloped, virgin jungle--not a reserve). There is only limited electricity in the kitchen, dining "room", and "lounge."--which also happen to be the only places that are fully screened in. My room has 4 walls and no ceiling, only lattice covering the window opening. But I do have a private bath complete with cold water. At dusk kerosene lanterns are lit in the rooms and around camp. The shadows that are cast by jungle creatures gave me the willies. I slept soundly inside the safety of mosquito netting.
I met a great lady from Pennsylvania who brought a small group down to do some work for Adopt-a-School. She's been coming for years bring school supplies for the teachers and children. She trades things for their handicrafts, takes the handicrafts back to the states to sell, and sends the money back to the villagers. This money is enough to keep the school operating for another school year. A very special lady to these people doing very special work.
After lunch and a nap in the hammock, my guide took me over to visit the local village of the Yagua's (red people). Their culture is dying. Young people are attracted to the opportunities in the bigger towns and cities. The Yaguas have reconstructed a village for demonstration: culture, dances, dress. I danced and tried my hand (or mouth) at the blowgun. Nailed the target! They make money from selling their handicrafts. I bought a a few things. I even had the opportunity to cuddle a little girl's pet sloth. What an interesting creature!
It was early to bed for an early start the following morning.
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment